32 HOURS PER WEEK TERM TIME
A suitably qualified technician is required to support the Art and Drama departments of this leading independent school. Relevant, recent experience would be an advantage.
Point 15 (15-18) with an actual salary £12,361 p.a.
Closing date: 9.00 a.m. Tuesday 25th September 2018
Interviews: Week commencing 1st October 2018
Post: Part-time Technician, Art & Design Department.
Responsible to: The post holder will be directly responsible to Mrs A Chambers, Head of the Art and Design Department.
Salary: Points 15-18 of the support staff salary scale (£18,152 - £19,059) with actual pro rata salary £12,361p.a. (0.681 FTE)
Hours: 32 hours per week, over 5 days 08.30 a.m. – 4.30 p.m. with 30 minute unpaid lunch break Monday – Thursday and 08.30 a.m. -12.30p.m. Friday, term time only plus 5 INSET days.
Holidays: The holiday year runs from 1st September to 31st August. In addition to the usual public holidays you are entitled to 25 paid working days’ holiday in each full holiday year worked, increasing to 28 paid working days’ holiday after 2 years’ continuous service and increasing to 33 paid working days after 5 years’ continuous service, accruing pro rata in each calendar year. An element of holiday pay is included in the hourly rate for the post.
Purpose of Appointment: The job is to work alongside assisting and support the subject teachers in the Art & Design Department with the provision of an attractive, supportive, caring and safe learning environment for the students and to facilitate effective learning. In addition, approx. 4 hours are to be spent supporting the Drama department.
Art and Design Department
- Assist in the preparation of materials for lessons in Art & Design
- support learning in the classroom
- Ensure a safe classroom and outdoor environment, checking materials and equipment for defects and reporting them to the subject teachers
- Be familiar with the emergency evacuation procedures
- Be aware of child protection and identify to the subject teacher and/or the named child protection colleague in School concerns in respect of individual pupils
- Attend staff meetings and other professional training as appropriate
- Keep up to date with specific Health & Safety requirements for this curriculum area
- Carry out any other reasonable request of the Head Mistress
Teacher support in preparation for lessons and studio management including:
- Preparation of equipment and resources for specific lessons and returning items to storage areas with weekly trolley checks
- Photocopying of materials as required by the teacher
- Daily check of paper towels, soap, printers, inks and paper supply
- Arrangement of rooms for specific sessions, for example; life drawing
- Up-load portable memory devices onto MHSG’s network and keeping camera batteries fully charged
Teacher support during lessons including:
- Assisting with ensuring a safe working environment throughout practical lessons
- Assisting pupils in practical situations as directed by the teacher
- loading and firing of the kiln
- checks on clay and glazes in stock
- checks on the state of the clay in the studio bins
- (Note: See caretakers when heavy stock needs to be moved)
Health & Safety: Tools and equipment
- Electrical testing
- Reporting of faults and/or defective items
- Under the direction of the HoD, assist as required with display throughout the Senior School and in the Art teaching rooms
- Print labels and explanatory captions on computer
- Booking reservations for visits and transport
- Accompany staff when necessary to museums and art galleries
- General supervision of students, specifically regarding behaviour, and Health & Safety in line with School policy
- Check stock levels and re-order materials in consultation with budget holders. Unpack orders and check invoices. Inform suppliers of shortages and breakages.
- Care of books, in liaison with the School Library
- Care of Audio Visual resources
- Care and retrieval of borrowed resources (if not returned promptly)
- Telephone life models to make appointments
- Telephone suppliers of various materials
- Photograph and print work for reference using digital camera
- Assist HoD with filing of Departmental information
- Assist in the building and painting of items for the set of Drama productions
- Assist in the production and requisition of props for Drama productions
- Provide other help, as required, to teaching staff in the Drama Department
- To carry out any other reasonable request of the Head Mistress
- This job description may be subject to reasonable changes in the future, to reflect changing circumstances and to aid professional development.
- Enjoy working with children and young people
- Applicants must share the commitment of the School to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children at all times
- The ability to work calmly under pressure and to relate to a wide range of people within the School
- The ability to work as a member of a team
- Pleasant and approachable manner and smart appearance
- Reliable and responsible
- A sense of humour
- The ability to use initiative
- Computer literate
- Creative flair for practical activities
- A can do attitude
- Experience in a similar role would be an advantage